Friday, February 25, 2011

Purchase Review: My first 1951 Topps, and a 1957 to boot


I didn't even know 1951 Topps existed until I saw one on one of your blogs. True, they were tiny little cards and they were a game, but hey, Topps is Topps. So I had to have one, and I had to have a Yankee. After searching the checklist, I set my sights on Jerry Coleman (or on this card, Gerry Coleman). I found one on eBay that I liked, and about $6 later it was mine. It's a red back version. I have to say, the card is in fantastic condition outside of a small nick at the top. Do I care? Nope. It's now my oldest, and one of my coolest cards. Somehow, I have a nice little Jerry Coleman collection going on. I have a 1957 Topps, and a 1955 Bowman as well. So I suppose I unofficially have a PC of him, so let me know if you have one and maybe we can make a deal.

I also managed to pick up this 1957 Bobby Shantz. Card condition isn't great, but it's 55 years old, what do you expect? I also paid $1 for it, so I knew what I was getting. It has a crease and a small stain. I love the Yankees jersey he is wearing - the navy blue trim is awesome. Mr. Shantz is in the TTM Hall of Fame of great signers, so I think I'll send this one to him in hopes of getting it autographed. I'm not trying to collect the full 1957 team set or anything, but I've managed to get my paws on four Yankees cards from the set - Shantz, Coleman, Skowron, and Larsen. Pretty cool stuff and I love the set - simple design, and I believe it's the first year Topps went to its current card size. Keep me honest though.

I'm still searching for my Holy Grail - an original Mantle. I'll have to get one that is all wrinkly and beat up, but I still want one. I also hope to get a Yogi, Maris, and Whitey Ford at some point as well. I picked up a 1955 Topps Rizzuto a few years ago and I love it. The card has a lot of character (i.e. creases), but it's special and original and that's what matters to me.

1 comment: