Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Worst Robinson Cano card ever

Personally, I'm a fan of of Topps Heritage. I like seeing modern players on the old card designs. A lot of other companies tried to do this - like Fleer and Upper Deck - but it felt too forced. With Topps, it's natural.

Last night, I was looking at a few of my Yankees Topps Heritage cards...I never really collected them per se, but they have been part of a few lots of cards I've bought or received, and I've always loved them. Anyways, I was flipping through a few 2009s, and stumbled up this Robinson Cano:


Really, Topps? Since he has come up in 2005, Robinson Cano has lead the league in smiles. It's true. He is a real life Guy Smiley. And for a posed photo, this mug shot is the best that they could come away with? Oy.

I wonder what sort of approval process photos have to go through before one is chosen for a card. You'd think that there would be a few options, and a creative director of sorts approves the one that looks best. If this photo is the best of what they had, I'd love to see what got cut.

I love this set, I really do. It's just a shame that this is how Cano will be documented in it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh buddy, just wait until you see his Mariners-era and Mets-era cards.

    ReplyDelete