Tuesday, May 17, 2011

RIP Harmon Killebrew


You know, I never fully take the time to check out someone's career numbers until they have passed away. I recently did this with Duke Snider a few weeks ago, and just this morning checked out Killebrew's numbers. I knew he was a big-time power hitter - 573 HR is no small feat, but other than the name and team, I admittedly never knew much about him. Well, his stats on baseball reference are mind-blowing, and had he played in a bigger market, I'm sure his name would come to mind a bit more quickly when discussing the all-time greats.

I can't imagine how he felt in 1961, as Mantle and Maris hit homer after homer, Killebrew hit 46 and drove in 122...numbers that normally would be top flight, but no doubt were overshadowed that year. I'm glad he won an MVP, and it's too bad he never was part of a World Series champion.

RIP, Harmon Killebrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment