Sunday, June 12, 2011

Last place prize from Cards on Cards

I'm not proud of how I got these cards. You see, I finished DEAD LAST in the March Radness Contest over at Cards on Cards. It's pretty embarassing. I have a job that requires me to know a lot about sports, including college hoops. I watch every single Syracuse game and many, many more games throughout the season. I tried to go against the grain with a lot of picks and really go for it...and I wound up last. People who didn't watch one game of college hoops all year whooped my butt.

Kerry had a great list of prizes for the winners...and the biggest loser: me. Although I didn't deserve a prize, I chose the team lot. Kerry threw as many Yankee cards that could fit into a flat rate box and sent it along. He wasn't joking, this is what arrived:


Wow, that's a lot of cards. I didn't expect nearly that many. Probably 200 or so! These were an absolute blast to go through. There were cards from the late 70s through 2011, although no junk wax. A lot of great late '90s and early '00s issues of guys that have come and gone. It truly has kept me occupied for days. While watching the Yanks lose lately, I have grabbed the box of cards Kerry sent me and just sifted through them.

Here are a few of my favorite cards:




It didn't stop there. Kerry also threw in two packs of 1989 Donruss - a prize worthy of any last place finisher. It brought back a lot of memories of opening late '80s wax. The feel of the slippery, waxy wrapper. The perfect stack of cardboard. The fresh smell. The puzzle pieces. I miss it.


Do you think this offer is still good?


Kerry, thanks again. The prize for last place was so good, I might intentionally finish last next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment