Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tino Tuesday #27: 1989 Star #124


I picked a nice, red Tino today because hey, it’s Valentine’s day. I didn’t have any pink ones, so red will have to do.

This card if from 1989 Star Company and features Tino on the Williamsport Bills, the Mariners’ Double A affiliate. I guess I never knew how impressive it was that he started in AA in his first full season. Granted he wasn’t a high school kid, but I feel like even college kids drafted these days start in rookie or A ball.  At Williamsport, Tino hit only .257, but did have 13 HRs and drive in 64 runs. He also fielded well, making only 7 errors in 1348 chances.


The card itself is what you’d expect from a minor league brand in the late 80’s…thin card stock, minimal graphics and stats, white back. I find it funny that he is listed as “Infielder” ad opposed to “1B.” It’s a cool card though…I have a few minor league Tinos and like them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment