Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tino Tuesday #28: 1999 Upper Deck Encore #159

This Tino came to me last week from the great Fuji of The Chronicles of Fuji. He sent me two Tinos, but this was one I had never seen and obviously didn't have. It's from 1999 Upper Deck Encore. Tino actually has two base cards in the set, so I have to pick up the other one. This one is the Homer Odessy part of the set. Tino was considered one of the games best power hitters for a short time in the late '90s. In '97 he jacked 44, and then went down to 28 in 1998 due to a sore back that hampered him a lot of the year as a result of an Armando Benitez fastball to the back. However, he redeemed himself on the 1999 World Series Game 1 grand slam on strike four. As for the card itself, it's a nice, high quality card with a refractor-like shine. It's right around the year when Upper Deck was putting out about 40 baseball sets per year, so Tinos from around this time were pretty hard to track down.



Fuji also sent me an Ultra RBI Kings Tino which I'll use in a future Tino Tuesday post.

No comments:

Post a Comment