Thursday, August 23, 2012

Flippin' the bird...


...the Greg Bird, that is. I haven’t done much browsing on eBay lately, and when I recently did I saw that there were a lot of 2012 Bowman Platinum Yankees cards that I didn’t have. One of them was this sweet on-card auto of Yankees prospect Greg Bird. I scored it on eBay for a few bucks delivered. A fifth-rounder last year, Bird has played 15 games this year with the GCL Yankees. He’s got a big bat, and the Yankees are keeping him at catcher for now. He was committed to Arkansas (sorry, Doon), but the Yanks lured him away with a seven-figure signing bonus.


The card itself is pretty sweet. This is the Refractor version. It has a nice-sized area for the signature, but Bird’s massive ‘graph still doesn’t fit and he signed over part of his arm. I love that these are on-card autos. Very sharp looking, if I do say so myself.

1 comment:

  1. Oh well, that's how it goes in college baseball. I kind of remember recruiting talk about him, but it didn't sound like there was much chance he would pass up a contract if he was drafted high enough. But choosing the Yankees organization over the Razorbacks? C'mon dude.

    ReplyDelete