Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tino Tuesday #51: 1991 Donruss #28



In the midst of my move last week, I failed to post a Tino Tuesday. I wanted to, even had the card scanned and saved, but I just never got around to it. I’m sure not many missed it, but I like having some sort of schedule on the blog.

I can’t lie, I’m posting this card because it’s so ugly I want to get it out of the way so that I don’t have to feature it again. 1991 Donruss. I haven’t met many people, other than Napkin Doon, who like 1990 or 1991 Donruss. This is actually Tino’s first Donruss card, and he has “Rated Rookie” status. He actually is a “Rated Rookie” in 1992 too, even though he was no longer qualified as a Rookie due to his plate appearances in 1991.

Onto the card. I like blue cards. I do. Most of the time. The random stripes and dots are a little much, and the colors are too loud and clash. I’m not going to hard on it too much. It’s just not an attractive card.

The shot of Tino is definitely from spring training, although I’m not sure which year. His helmet says #53, but he never wore that number with Mariners in the Majors. He wore 14 and then 23. My guess is that this was taken during the spring of 1990. I do like that he was wearing real stirrups, and the classic Franklin batting gloves.

If anyone would ever like a copy of this card, let me know, as I have at least 600 of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment