Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Grocery shopping can be fun!



A few days ago, I was on my way back from my sister’s house and stopped at a grocery store a few blocks south of my town. Usually I go to the A&P about two blocks from where we live, but I was already in the car and this one was on the way, so I dropped in. Plus, while still an A&P, it’s just larger and a lot nicer than the one closest to us.

I paid for my groceries, and headed out the door. However, a sight made me stop dead in my tracks:
Those aren't Reese's and Paydays! They are cards. Baseball cards in a snack vending machine!

I had never seen this before. I had seen the slot machines where you put in a quarter and two or three cards come out, but have never seen packs in a vending machine. Amazing.

Now, for the most part, there was expected crap. Packs of 1996 Topps and 1991-92 NBA Hoops, for example. But there was some good stuff too, including 2014 Topps Olympics, and a few team bags. There were also Mickey Mantle HR cards in top loaders.

It’s rare that I have cash on me. I’m one of those annoying people who buys a pack of gum with a debit card, but I had a few singles, so I opted for a 25-card team bag (“B8”), with Jason Giambi on the front. I figured that would be a little more enjoyable than a pack of 1996 Topps. Plus, it would give me something to post about. See what I did there?
 
  
It contained the usual junk, for the post part, although I did get two cards from the ‘70s which I didn’t expect. Everything else was about what you’d imagine. Still, a very fun surprise at the grocery store. I’ll have to stop back and check it out again.

9 comments:

  1. I saw one of these vending machines on the concourse at the SkyDome. (That's still the name of the Blue Jays home field, right?)
    Again, the usual junk, but there was a pack of 89-90 Hoops basketball and I could make out a Bulls logo on the front. I threw in a buck and got myself a Jordan. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A baseball card vending machine? Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like a repack on steroids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had seen a vending machine with baseball card by where my ex-girlfriend lives in Brooklyn and I must have thrown 10.00 worth of coins into it. Got nothing exciting, but it was an experience for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Target and Wallmart should sell cards this way.. would be a great for beating pack-searchers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some other blog posted about these awhile ago. I hope the prices aren't as inflated as the common-variety vending machine at work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool. When I was a kid, I loved watching the spiral thingy go around and around. I was absolutely amazed by this invention (it's the simple things in life). Plus I loved candy. The excitement would have been doubled or tripled had this card machine had been around back then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep me away from those. Seeing that '78 Topps card would have made me go back and get more.

    ReplyDelete