Tuesday, April 21, 2015

TTM Success: Shawn Kelley

At the beginning of spring training, I sent out a few 2015 Topps cards to current and former Yankees in the checklist, hoping to knock one off for my Topps Yankees Project. Shane Greene got back to me quickly and is now featured. However, Shawn Kelley just responded with a signed card, and I have the option of including him, if I so choose.

He was due for a bit of a raise this year and will be a free agent after the season. With an influx of relievers who could take his place, the Yanks dealt him to San Diego for relief prospect Johnny Barbato. Thus far, Kelley is 0-1 with a 9.00 ERA in five appearance for San Diego. Barbato, meanwhile, is anchoring Trenton's bullpen and has been great, with six Ks in four innings of work. There were rumblings he would need elbow surgery, but he sure looks healthy right now.

Anyhow, the signature stuck to the card really well. Black Sharpie was a good choice. It looks good. I'll probably stick with Cy Young Shane Greene in the meantime, but I really like how this one turned out. I wish Shawn the best of luck with San Diego!

1 comment:

  1. Nice success. Can't believe how well Shane Greene is doing right now, he's making Brian Cashman look pretty stupid in this case...

    ReplyDelete