Sunday, April 22, 2018

Oh Happy Gley!

Today, top prospect Gleyber Torres will make his Yankees debut. Second base has seen a lack of production, with Neil Walker hitting .179 and Tyler Wade hitting .086.

Wade bums me out, as he's always been very good in the minors, struggled briefly in the Majors last year, had a great spring training, but has been putrid in the Majors once again. It's a small sample size, 101 PAs across 43 games, but he had a big opportunity to take the job and run with it this April, and he hasn't done it. Hopefully it'll click for him at the Big League Level soon.

With the lack of production, Gleyber Torres finally gets the call. It would have happened last year except he required TJ Surgery after an awkward slide.
He had a rough spring, but then went out and hit .347 in AAA to start off the year. I except him to be slotted right into 2B, as Miguel Andujar has taken a hold of 3B with a very strong last week, going 9 for 20 with 5 doubles, a triple, and a homer. Pretty good for a rook!

I hope Gleyber can come up and take the job and run with it, but there will be some growing pains I'm sure. Still, it's exciting and hopefully he can help spark the Yankees to find some consistency.

I just hope the fans don't boo him if he goes 0 for 4 today.
Welcome to the show, Gleyber! Make yourself comfortable.

6 comments:

  1. I wouldn't trade the WS in 2016 for anything, but sending Gleyber to the Yanks for Chapman still stings a bit. I hope he sets the world on fire! All the NYY need is another polarizing bat! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to keep telling myself, the Cubs won the Series and I wouldn't want to screw that up... but, damn... I sure do wish he was making this debut in a Cubs uniform! Happy Gleyber Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rich get richer. If Gleyber lives up to his potential we could be on the verge of another long run of Yankees World Series years.

      Delete
  3. Second base has been a black hole since Cano left, hope Torres can put an end to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ::crosses fingers:: Please don't be another Judge. Please don't be another Judge. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never understood booing hometown players. I've seen it a few times in Oakland (mainly when pitchers are getting roughed up). Gotta imagine that would only make things worse for the player.

    ReplyDelete